Toby,

sad that you fall for the last resort of the marketing droids here. All
manufactures (and there are only a few left) will sue the hell out of you if
you state that their drives don't 'sync'. And each and every drive I have ever
used did. So the talk about a distinct borderline between 'enterprise' and
'home' is just cheap and not sustainable.

Also, if you were correct, and ZFS allowed for compromising the metadata of
dormant files (folders) by writing metadata for other files (folders), we would
not have advanced beyond FAT, and ZFS would be but a short episode in the
history of file systems. Or am I the last to notice that atomic writes have
been dropped? Especially with atomic writes you either have the last consistent
state of the file structure, or the updated one. So what would be the meaning
of 'always consistent on the drive' if metadata were allowed to hang in
between; in an inconsistent state? You write "What is known, is the last
checkpoint." Exactly, and here a contradiction shows: the last checkpoint of
all untouched files (plus those read only) does contain exactly all untouched
files. How could one allow to compromise the last checkpoint by writing a new
one?
You are correct with "the feasible recovery mode is a partial". Though here we
have heard some stories of total loss. Nobody has questioned that the recovery
of an interrupted 'write' must necessarily be partial. What is questioned is
the complete loss of semantics.

Uwe