May I doubt that there are drives that don't 'sync'? That means you have a good
chance of corrupted data at a normal 'reboot'; or just at a 'umount' (without
considering ZFS here).
May I doubt the marketing drab that you need to buy a USCSI or whatnot to have
functional 'sync' at a shutdown or umount? There are millions if not billions
of drives out there that come up with consistent data structures after a clean
shutdown.
This means that a proper 'umount' flushes everything on those drives, and we
need not expect corrupted data, and no further writes. And that was the topic
further up to which I tried to answer. As well as to the notion that a file
system that encounters interrupted writes may well and legally be completely
unreadable. That is what I refuted, nothing else.

Uwe