On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Ross Smith wrote:

However, I've just had another idea.  Since the uberblocks are pretty
vital in recovering a pool, and I believe it's a fair bit of work to
search the disk to find them.  Might it be a good idea to allow ZFS to
store uberblock locations elsewhere for recovery purposes?

Perhaps it is best to leave decisions on these issues to the ZFS designers who know how things work.

Previous descriptions from people who do know how things work didn't make it sound very difficult to find the last 20 uberblocks. It sounded like they were at known points for any given pool.

Those folks have surely tired of this discussion by now and are working on actual code rather than reading idle discussion between several people who don't know the details of how things work.

Bob