>>>>> "t" == Tim  <t...@tcsac.net> writes:

     t> Uhhh, S10 box that provide zfs backed iSCSI is NOT fine.  Cite
     t> the plethora of examples on this list of how the fault
     t> management stack takes so long to respond it's basically
     t> unusable as it stands today.

well...if we are talking about reliability, whether or not you lose
the whole pool when some network element or disk target reboots,
that's separate from availability, do your final applications
experience glitches and outages or are they insulated from failures
that happen far enough underneath the layering?  The insulating right
now seems pretty poor compared to other SAN products, but that's not
the same problem as the single-LUN Reliability issue we've been
discussing recently.

if you make a zpool mirror out of two S10 box providing iSCSI instead
of one iSCSI target, that is better.

If you make a zpool from one S10 box providing iSCSI, does not matter
if the iSCSI target software is serving the one LUN from a zvol or a
disk or an SVM slice, it is not fine for reliability to have a
single-LUN iSCSI vdev.  You must have ZFS-layer redundancy on the
overall pool, above the iSCSI.

if you change from:

  client
   NFS
+------------+          |        SAN                   |
| NFS     ZFS|--lun0----|iSCSI/FC                      |
|            |          +------------------------------+
+------------+            |             |            |
                     +------------+-------------++------------+
                     | disk       || disk       || disk       |
                     | shelf      || shelf      || shelf      |
                     |            ||            ||            |
                     +------------++------------++------------+

to using a non-ZFS filesystem above the iSCSI:

 [client   |notZFS]  -----+-------------+------------+
                          |             |            |
                          |             |            |
                     +------------+-------------++------------+
                     |iSCSI target||iSCSI target||iSCSI target|
                     |  ZFS       ||  ZFS       ||  ZFS       |
                     |local disk  ||local disk  ||local disk  |
                     +------------++------------++------------+

then that is probably more okay.  But for me the appeal of ZFS is to
aggregate spread-out storage into really huge pools.  Maybe it's hard
to find a good notZFS to use in that diagram.

My understanding so far is, this is also better:

  client
   NFS
    |                   +------------------------------+
+------------+---lun0---|        SAN                   |
| NFS     ZFS|---lun1---|iSCSI/FC                      |
|            |          +------------------------------+
+------------+            |             |            |
                     +------------+-------------++------------+
                     | disk       || disk       || disk       |
                     | shelf      || shelf      || shelf      |
                     |            ||            ||            |
                     +------------++------------++------------+

where lun0 and lun1 make up a mirrored vdev in ZFS.  It does not
matter if lun0 and lun1 are carried on the same physical cable or
connected to the same SAN controller, but obviously they DO need to be
backed by separate storage, so you're wasting a lot of disk to do
this.  Even if some maintenance event reboots lun0 and lun1 at the
same time, my understanding so far is, people have found this
configuration above less likely to lose whole pools than running on a
single lun.  Ex., see thread including message-id

 <b5eb902a18810e43800f26a02db4279a2e6f1...@cnjexchange.composers.caxton.com>

around 2008-08-13.

Another alternative is to go ahead and use single-lun vdev's, but have
data mirrored across multiple zpools using zfs send | zfs recv or
rsync in case you lose a whole pool.  That's appealing to me because
the backup pool can be built from cheaper slower pieces than the main
pool, instead of burning up double the amount of expensive main pool
storage, and it protects from problems/bugs/mistakes that a vdev
mirror does not, and it allows changing pool geometry and removing
slogs and stuff.  The downside to planning on restoring from backup
is, if you lose your single-lun pool relatively often, these big
heavily-aggregated pools can take days to restore.  It's a type of
offline maintenance, which is always against the original ZFS kool-aid
philosophy because offline maintenance puts a de-facto cap on max pool
size.