>>>>> "gm" == Gary Mills <mi...@cc.umanitoba.ca> writes:

    gm> ZFS on a file server, exporting storage to an application
    gm> server where ZFS also runs on top of that storage.  All
    gm> storage management would take place on the file server, where
    gm> the physical disks reside.  The application server would still
    gm> perform end-to-end error checking but would notify the file
    gm> server when it detected an error.

> I think Lustre group wants or was directed to arrange for ZFS
> becoming a supported backing store.  Since Lustre might have
> less interoperability baggage than NFS, SMB, iSCSI, maybe you
> could convince them to extend the ZFS-checksum protection
> domain out to the Lustre client.  I don't really know what they are
> doing.  It might end up without quite the level of elegance of a
> ZFS checksum tree since there will be multiple ZFS's beneath
> Lustre, but adding the idea of a ``protection domain'' to their
> deliberations might make Lustre-ZFS meaningfully better.

2 points...

[a]  There is a standard for such end to end data integrity, i.g. T10 DIF.
many vendors seem to be moving that way. For a high level overview
see ->

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/continuity/news/article.php/3672651

[b] The Lustre team, I believe,  is looking at porting the DMU **not**
the entire
zfs stack. There are still license issues, i.g. CDDL vs. GPL.  How that will
be handled hasn't been discussed openly as far as I know.