On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
Probably the wrong move now that its clear how I screwed this up.

I'm thinking something like this might clean things up?

cd /rbk

 Starting with:
 ls -F .
 chub/  harvey/  mob1/  mob1MyBackup.tib

zfs destroy -r mob1

mkdir -p mob1/acronis/022009/  mob1/ghost

mv  mob1MyBackup.tib mob1/acronis/022009/mob1_01.tib

Is this about right... since there are no actual files under the zfs
file system `mob1/', I can just get rid of it as shown above.  And
create the hierarchy I intended with standard tools mkdir and mv?

You might want to think a bit more before you get started. While there is an implicit usable filesystem at the pool root ('/rbk'), there is considerable value with creating subordinate filesystems using 'zfs create' because then you will be able to manage them much better using different settings such as block sizes, mount points, quotas, and other goodies that ZFS provides. If the directories are for users, then being able to set a quota is quite useful since some users need a firewall to protect to ensure that they don't use all of the disk space.

Note that you can set the mountpoint for any ZFS filesystem via the "mountpoint" property (see zfs manual page) and this will cause that filesystem to appear via the path you specify. Don't feel that the name of the pool needs to drive your directory heirarchy. In fact, it is wise if the pool name is not part of any of the paths used. By using the mountpoint property you can create any number of mounted directories directly off of root ('/'), or under any other directory. For example, you can easily set the mount path to "/mydir".

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn