Bob Friesenhahn <bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> You might want to think a bit more before you get started.  While
> there is an implicit usable filesystem at the pool root ('/rbk'),
> there is considerable value with creating subordinate filesystems
> using 'zfs create' because then you will be able to manage them much
> better using different settings such as block sizes, mount points,
> quotas, and other goodies that ZFS provides.  If the directories are
> for users, then being able to set a quota is quite useful since some
> users need a firewall to protect to ensure that they don't use all of
> the disk space.

Ahh I see.

The users are not real users... just my home lan connecting to backup
other machines onto the zfs pool.  But I see your point.  And
considering the whole thing is experimental at this point; (I'm
running zfs from a opensol install inside a vmware on windows xp,
hoping to find out some of the gotchas and good practices before
putting a real zfs server into operation on the home lan.

I think I will scrub this setup leaving zbk/ as the main pool then
create xfs filesystems like:

 zbk/HOST1
 zbk/HOST2
 zbk/HOST3
 (etc)
 zbk/misc

And set the HOST[123]/ and pub/ as the cifs shares, instead of the top
level.  That would give quite a bit more granularity.. maybe I'll
learn a little more this way too.