On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Nicolas Williams
<nicolas.willi...@sun.com> wrote:
>> >  This may be interesting... I'm not sure how often you need to shrink a
>> > pool
>> >  though?  Could this be classified more as a Home or SME level feature?
>>
>> Enterprise level especially in SAN environments need this.
>>
>> Projects own theyr own pools and constantly grow and *shrink* space.
>> And they have no downtime available for that.
>
> Multiple pools on one server only makes sense if you are going to have
> different RAS for each pool for business reasons.  It's a lot easier to
> have a single pool though.  I recommend it.

Other scenarios for multiple pools include:

- Need independent portability of data between servers.  For example,
in a HA cluster environment, various workloads will be mapped to
various pools.  Since ZFS does not do active-active clustering, a
single pool for anything other than a simple active-standby cluster is
not useful.

- Array based copies are needed.  There are times when copies of data
are performed at a storage array level to allow testing and support
operations to happen "on different spindles".  For example, in a
consolidated database environment, each database may be constrained to
a set of spindles so that each database can be replicated or copied
independent of the various others.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/