Hi,

I recommended a ZFS-based archive solution to a client needing to have
a network-based archive of 15TB of data in a remote datacentre.  I
based this on an X2200 + J4400, Solaris 10 + rsync.

This was enthusiastically received, to the extent that the client is
now requesting that their live system (15TB data on cheap SAN and
Linux LVM) be replaced with a ZFS-based system.

The catch is that they're not ready to move their production systems
off Linux - so web, db and app layer will all still be on RHEL 5.

As I see it, if they want to benefit from ZFS at the storage layer,
the obvious solution would be a NAS system, such as a 7210, or
something buillt from a JBOD and a head node that does something
similar.  The 7210 is out of budget - and I'm not quite sure how it
presents its storage - is it NFS/CIFS?  If so, presumably it would be
relatively easy to build something equivalent, but without the
(awesome) interface.

The interesting alternative is to set up Comstar on SXCE, create
zpools and volumes, and make these available either over a fibre
infrastructure, or iSCSI.  I'm quite excited by this as a solution,
but I'm not sure if it's really production ready.

What other options are there, and what advice/experience can you share?

Thanks,

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith