On 03/08/09 23:16, Blake wrote:
I think it's filesystems, not snapshots, that take a long time to
enumerate.  (If I'm wrong, somebody correct me :)

The time needed to iterate through the same number of snapshots and
filesystems should be about the same.  However, whenever any of the
ZFS filesystems or snapshots to be listed are not already cached in
memory, then it does take time for zfs list to load them from disk. However, some prefetching has been added to help speed this up.

No extra time is needed to boot a system with thousands of filesystems
or snapshots.  However, ZFS mounts filesystems by default and it does
take time for thousands of filesystems to be mounted.  Changes have
been made to speed this up by reducing the number of mnttab lookups.

And zfs list has been changed to no longer show snapshots by default.
But it still might make sense to limit the number of snapshots saved:
http://blogs.sun.com/timf/entry/zfs_automatic_snapshots_0_10

-- Rich