Monish Shah wrote:
Hello Darren,

Monish Shah wrote:
Hello everyone,

My understanding is that the ZFS crypto framework will not release until 2010.

That is incorrect information, where did you get that from ?

It was in Mike Shapiro's presentation at the Open Solaris Storage Summit that took place a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps I mis-read the slide, but I'm pretty sure it listed encryption as a feature for 2010.

That is for its availablity in the S7000 appliance. It will be in OpenSolaris before that (it has to be because the S7000 is based on an OpenSolaris build).

If the schedule is much sooner than 2010, I would definitely do so. What is your present schedule estimate?

I can't commit to this yet but I expect somewhere around August 2009.

Note that the code in hg.opensolaris.org/hg/zfs-crypto/gate actually works today and encrypts more than what your proposal work. It is just that we are making some design changes to simplify the model and ensure that encryption integrates with other ZFS features coming along.

There will be a design update posted to zfs-crypto-discuss@ later this month.

--
Darren J Moffat