C. wrote:

I've worked hard to resolve this problem.. google opensolaris rescue will show I've hit it a few times... Anyway, short version is it's not zfs at all, but stupid handling of bootarchive. If you've installed something like a 3rd party driver (OSS/Virtualbox) you'll likely hit this bug.

You might have hit the nail on the head. My two candidates could be either Nvidia or VirtualBox. Still, ought boot archive not be an independent process, that creates a proper backup in case of any modification, from any stupid handling? Should a recycling reboot not be noted, if just by a flag (in case we have r/w of a drive), including a redirection of the messages into a file? (Okay, that's off-topic in this list). Should ZFS not keep track of a proper roll-back point to offer to boot to in case of failing/recycling boots? Maybe something like 'last successful boot'?

Uwe