Hi Francis,
Thanks for confirming.  That did the trick.  I kept thinking I had to mirror
at the highest level (zpool), then split.  I actually did it in one less
step than you mention by using replace instead of attach then detach but
what you said is 100% correct.

zpool replace /root/zfs/disk0 /root/zfs/disk3
zpool detach  /root/zfs/disk1

Thanks again!