On Mar 29, 2009, at 16:37, Michael Shadle wrote:

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM, David Magda <dma...@ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:

Create new pool, move data to it (zfs send/recv), destroy old RAID- Z1 pool.

Would send/recv be more efficient than just a massive rsync or related?

Also I'd have to reduce the data on my existing raidz1 as it is almost
full, and the raidz2 it would be sending to would be 1.5tb smaller
technically.

Potentially yes, especially with large quantities of files or directories. Not so much their size, as their number.

Rsync, regardless of version, has to traverse the tree and get the file metadata, and compute checksums over the length of the file.

Send/recv uses the file system structures to find these things and figure out exactly which blocks of data in a ZFS dataset has changed, without having to run checksums.

Depending on the types of data you have, you may want to consider enabling compression on the new pool.

If you're new to ZFS you may want to try doing a few different things as an experiment as a learning experience perhaps. (Time permitting.)