Buried in the announcements last week from Sun is the Sun Flash Module.
http://www.sun.com/storage/flash/module.jsp

I wanted to bring this up on this forum because it represents an interesting
way to add SSD technology to a system design.  The new Sun Blade X6275
has slots for these SSDs and I expect to see future designs follow suit.

Brief specifications:
  SO-DIMM form factor (very small)
  64 MByte DRAM buffers
  24 GBytes available space
  Enterprise class
  SATA interface

I think this development is significant for several reasons.

1. It represents the beginning of the end for 5.25", 3.5", 2.5", and 1.8"
disk form factors.

2. You can now build an SSD disk array into a wide variety of form factors
which would be impossible to do with spinning media.

3. The (common) requirement for mirrored boot disks should prove
obsolete.

4. Will be a natural fit for ZFS, particularly for ZFS root systems.

5. Not likely to be hot-pluggable, but do we really care?

Thoughts?
-- richard