On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Richard Elling wrote:

The win is nonvolatile main memory. When we get this on a large,
fast scale (and it will happen in our lifetime :-) then we can begin
to forget about file systems, with an interim step through ramdisks.
This already exists for many household/personal devices today, so
it is really just a wait-until-Moore's-Law-catches-up game.

Yes, I am eagerly waiting for the memory-mapped non-volatile mass storage device with all the safeguards of zfs and performance gradually approaching that of main memory. It is interesting that really primitive storage devices found in low-power devices already have an edge in this regard.

Using SATA feels like we are just poking at it with a long stick. It blocks progress.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn