Hm. That's odd. "zpool clear" should've cleared the list of errors. Unless you were accessing files at the same time, so there were more checksum errors being reported upon reads. As for "zpool scrub", there's no benefit in your case. Since you are reading from the zpool, and there's checksums being done as you read - and I assume you're going to read every single file there is. "zpool scrub" is good when you want to ensure that checksum is good for the whole zpool, including files you haven't read recently.

Well, good luck with your recovery efforts.

-Paul

Jonathan Loran wrote:

Well, I tried to clear the errors, but zpool clear didn't clear them. I think the errors are in the metadata in such a way that they can't be cleared. I'm actually a bit scared to scrub it before I grab a backup, so I'm going to do that first. After the backup, I need to break the mirror to pull the x4540 out, and I just hope that can succeed. If not, we'll be loosing some data between the time the backup is taken and I roll out the new storage. Let this be a double warning to all you zfs-ers out there: Make sure you have redundancy at the zfs layer, and also do backups. Unfortunately for me, penny pinching has precluded both for us until now.

Jon