Den 18 juni 2009 06.47 skrev Timh Bergström<timh.bergst...@diino.net>:
> The way I see it is that eventhough ZFS may be a wonderful filesystem,
> it is not the best solution for every possible (odd) setup. I.e
> USB-sticks has proven a bad idea with zfs mirrors, ergo - dont do
> it(tm).
>
> ZFS on iSCSI *is* flaky and a host-reboot without telling the target
> will most likely get the target to panic and/or crash in a couple of
> fun ways. Yes I have tested, way to many times, and yes I know this -
> therefore I do not reboot my hosts if not absolutely necessary and if
> I have to, I usually tell my target(s) to unmount/export/calm down
> before I do it. The same is true for FC-connected vdevs, and thus - I
> dont "reboot" my SAN nor my FC connected cabinets without telling the
> targets.
>
> I know that sometimes you cant avoid theese situations but then I've
> learned how to "fix" it when it happends, and there's no bs, just fix
> it.
>
> I've been equally disappointed and encouraged by ZFS itself, and i've
> lost data, i've recovered data (thanks to Victor Latushkin) and im ok
> with it. Why?
>
> Know thy filesystem!
>
> I know what I can do, what I can trust and what I cant, so I do and I
> dont accordingly.
>
> Flaming people on ./ is *not* the way to silence those who lost data
> due to corruptions, telling them that "Ok, that's sad, but perhaps ZFS
> is NOT for you if you want to run USB-connected iscsi-initiator over
> zfs raidz with mushrooms and sauce." would probably be a better idea.
> Nor is blaming *all* errors/corruptiosn that actually occur on bad
> hardware (ECC discussion), stupid programs (mostly GNU-hate) or stupid
> administrators who didnt get the budget to run backups on 100TB+ nodes
> etc etc.

Edit:
Of course blaming all that happends on ZFS itself isnt the *right*
thing to do either, rather blame the marketing, if Sun or any other pr
says ZFS is the one and only filesystem you need for everything, tell
them to go to h*ll, since that is never the thruth. And as usual, just
because you *can* doesnt mean you *should*.

//T

--
Timh Bergström
System Operations Manager