On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Miles Nordin<car...@ivy.net> wrote:

>   fan> The N610N that I have (BCM3302, 300MHz, 64MB) isn't even
>   fan> powerful enough to saturate either the gigabit wired
>
> I can't find that device.  Did you misspell it or something?  BCM
> probably means Broadcom, and Broadcom is probably MIPS---it's TI
> (omap) and Marvell (orion) that are selling arm.

Correct, it's MIPS. My point is the embedded device and cheap netbook
I've used aren't likely to be powerful enough for zfs.

I have the impression that common ARM-based appliances today (like
DLink's DNS-323 NAS, 500 Mhz Marvell 88F5181 proprietary Feroceon ARM)
would have similar performace characteristic and was wondering whether
they are truly feasible targets for opensolaris and zfs.

> That said, ARM is interesting because the chips just recently got a
> lot faster at the same power/price point, like >1GHz.

using zfs on THAT might make more sense :D

--
Fajar