> Within the thread there are instructions for using iometer to load test your
> storage. You should test out your solution before going live, and compare
> what you get with what you need. Just because striping 3 mirrors *will* give
> you more performance than raidz2 doesn't always mean that is the best
> solution. Choose the best solution for your use case.

multiple vm disks that have any kind of load on them will bury a raidz
or raidz2.  out of a 6x raidz2 you are going to get the iops and
random seek latency of a single drive (realistically the random seek
will probably be slightly worse, actually).  how could that be
adequate for a virtual machine backend?  if you set up a raidz2 with
6x15k drives, for the majority of use cases, you are pretty much
throwing your money away.  you are going to roll your own san, buy a
bunch of 15k drives, use 2-3u of rackspace and four (or more)
switchports, and what you're getting out of it is essentially a 500gb
15k drive with a high mttdl and a really huge theoretical transfer
speed for sequential operations (which you won't be able to saturate
anyway because you're delivering over gige)?  for this particular
setup i can't really think of a situation where that would make sense.

> Regarding ZIL usage, from what I have read you will only see benefits if you
> are using NFS backed storage, but that it can be significant.

link?