On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Richard Elling wrote:

"The new code keeps track of the amount of data accepted in a TXG and the time it takes to sync. It dynamically adjusts that amount so that each TXG sync takes about 5 seconds (txg_time variable). It also clamps the limit to no more than 1/8th of physical memory."

hmmm... methinks there is a chance that the 1/8th rule might not work so well
for machines with lots of RAM and slow I/O.  I'm also reasonably sure that
that sort of machine is not what Sun would typically build for performance lab testing, as a rule. Hopefully Roch will comment when it is morning in Europe.

Slow I/O is relative. If I install more memory does that make my I/O even slower?

I did some more testing. I put the input data on a different drive and sent application output to the ZFS pool. I no longer noticed any stalls in the execution even though the large ZFS flushes are taking place. This proves that my application is seeing stalled reads rather than stalled writes.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn