Hi James,

ZFS SSD usage behaviour heavly depends on access pattern and for asynch ops
ZFS will not use SSD's.
I'd suggest you to disable SSD's , create a ram disk and use it as SLOG
device to compare the performance. If performance doesnt change, it means
that the measurement method have some flaws or you havent configured Slog
correctly.

Please note that SSD's are way slower then DRAM based write cache's. SSD's
will show performance increase when you create load from multiple clients at
the same time, as ZFS will be flushing the dirty cache sequantialy.  SO I'd
suggest running the test from a lot of clients simultaneously

Best regards
Mertol

Mertol Ozyoney
Storage Practice - Sales Manager