On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, Phil Harman wrote:

However, it seems that memory mapping is not responsible for the problem I am seeing here. Memory mapping may make the problem seem worse, but it is clearly not the cause.

mmap(2) is what brings ZFS files into the page cache. I think you've shown us that once you've copied files with cp(1) - which does use mmap(2) - that anything that uses read(2) on the same files is impacted.

The problem is observed with cpio, which does not use mmap. This is immediately after a reboot or unmount/mount of the filesystem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn