On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 08:48:33AM +0100, Phil Harman wrote:
> ZFS doesn't mix well with mmap(2). This is because ZFS uses the ARC
> instead of the Solaris page cache. But mmap() uses the latter. So if
> anyone maps a file, ZFS has to keep the two caches in sync.

That's the first I've heard of this issue.  Our e-mail server runs
Cyrus IMAP with mailboxes on ZFS filesystems.  Cyrus uses mmap(2)
extensively.  I understand that Solaris has an excellent
implementation of mmap(2).  ZFS has many advantages, snapshots for
example, for mailbox storage.  Is there anything that we can be do to
optimize the two caches in this environment?  Will mmap(2) one day
play nicely with ZFS?