On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Boyd Adamson wrote:

Probably this is encouraged by documentation like this:

The memory mapping interface is described in Memory Management
Interfaces. Mapping files is the most efficient form of file I/O for
most applications run under the SunOS platform.

Found at:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-4415/fileio-2?l=en&a=view

People often think about the main benefit of mmap() being to reduce CPU consumption and buffer copies but the mmap() family of programming interfaces is much richer than low-level read/write, pread/pwrite, or stdio, because madvise() provides the ability for I/O scheduling, or to flush stale data from memory. In recent Solaris, it also includes provisions which allow applications to improve their performance on NUMA systems.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn