G'day,
I'm putting together a LAN server with a couple of terabyte HDDs as a mirror
(zfs root) on b117 (updated 2009.06).

I want to back up snapshots of all of rpool to a removable drive on a USB port
- simple & cheap backup media for a two week rolling DR solution - ie: once a
week a HDD gets swapped out and kept offsite.  I figure ZFS snapshots are
perfect for local backups of files, it's only DR that we need the offsite
backup for.

I created and formatted one drive on the USB interface (hopefully this will
cope with drives being swapped in and out?), called it 'backup' to confuse
things :)

zfs list shows :
NAME                       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
backup                     114K   913G    21K  /backup
rpool                     16.1G   897G    84K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT                13.7G   897G    19K  legacy
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris    37.7M   897G  5.02G  /
rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-1  13.7G   897G  10.9G  /
rpool/cashmore             140K   897G    22K  /rpool/cashmore
rpool/dump                1018M   897G  1018M  -
rpool/export               270M   897G    23K  /export
rpool/export/home          270M   897G   736K  /export/home
rpool/export/home/carl     267M   897G   166M  /export/home/carl
rpool/swap                1.09G   898G   101M  -

I've tried this :

zfs snapshot -r rp...@yyyymmddhh
zfs send rp...@yyyymmddhh | zfs receive -F backup/data

eg :

c...@lan2:/backup# zfs snapshot -r rp...@2009070804
c...@lan2:/backup# zfs send rp...@2009070804 | zfs receive -F backup/data

Now I'd expect to see the drive light up and to see some activity, but not much
seems to happen.

zpool status shows :
# zpool status
  pool: backup
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        backup       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c10t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c8d1s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c9d1s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

and zfs list -t all :
zfs list -t all | grep back
backup                                                             238K   913G
  23K  /backup
bac...@zfs-auto-snap:frequent-2009-07-08-23:30                      18K      -
  21K  -
backup/data                                                         84K   913G
  84K  /backup/data
backup/d...@2009070804                                                0      -
  84K  -

So nothing much is getting copied onto the USB drive as far as I can tell.
Certainly not a few GB of stuff.  Can anyone tell me what I've missed or
misunderstood?  Does snapshot -r not get all of rpool?

Thankyou!

Carl