> Thankyou!  Am I right in thinking that rpool
> snapshots will include things like swap?  If so, is
> there some way to exclude them?

Hi Carl :)

You can't exclude them from the send -R with something like --exclude, but you
can make sure there are no such snapshots (which aren't useful anyway) before
sending, as noted.

As well as deleting them, another way to do this is to not create them in the
first place.  If you use the snapshots created by tim's zfs-auto-snapshot
service, that service observes a property on each dataset that excludes
snapshots being taken on that dataset.

There are convenient hooks in that service that you can use to facilitate the
sending step directly once the snapshots are taken, and to use incremental
sends of the snapshots as well.

You might consider your replication schedule, too - for example, keep
"frequent" and maybe even "hourly" snapshots only on the internal pool, and
replicate "daily" and beyond snapshots to the external drive ready for removal.
  If you arrange your schedule of swapping drives well enough, such that a
drive returns from offsite storage and is reconnected while the most recent
snapshot it contains is still present in rpool, then catching it up with the
week of snapshots it missed while offsite can be quick.