Rather bizarrely, after that second failure I pulled the disk, cleared the
pool, re-inserted it and forced it online.  This time, ZFS resilvered fine with
zero errors:

# zpool status
  pool: rc-pool
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scrub: resilver completed after 4h31m with 0 errors on Mon Jul 13 21:24:51 2009
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rc-pool     ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  195M resilvered
            c4t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  134G resilvered
            c5t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0  195M resilvered
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t6d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t7d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t6d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t7d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs        ONLINE       0     0     0
          c6d1p0    ONLINE       0     0     0

After the resilver I've run a scrub, and now the whole pool reports a clean
bill of health.

# zpool status
  pool: rc-pool
 state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.  The pool can
        still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'.  Once this is done, the
        pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.
 scrub: scrub completed after 3h50m with 0 errors on Tue Jul 14 12:03:03 2009
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rc-pool     ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t6d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c4t7d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t6d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c5t7d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs        ONLINE       0     0     0
          c6d1p0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I don't know whether this was just a bad connection, but I've now had ZFS do
exactly the same on two machines.  On both of them, I've replaced a disk with a
brand new one and had it complain of errors with the replacement.  And again,
on both machines after clearing the errors and starting the rebuild again it
completed fine.

I'm going to test both of these disks carefully, I find it very odd for ZFS to
complain of errors when replacing disks on two separate machines.