On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:43, Adam Sherman<asher...@versature.com> wrote:
> On 17-Jul-09, at 1:45 , Will Murnane wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the LSI SAS3801X because it seems to be what Sun OEMs for
>>> my
>>> X4100s:
>>
>> If you're given the choice (i.e., you have the M2 revision), PCI
>> Express is probably the bus to go with.  It's basically the same card,
>> but on a faster bus.  But there's nothing wrong with the PCI-X
>> version.
>
> I have a stack of the original X4100s.
Ah, okay.  PCI-X it is.

>>> $280 or so, looks like. Might be overkill for me though.
>>
>> The 3442X-R is a little cheaper: $205 from Provantage.
>> http://www.provantage.com/lsi-logic-lsi00164~7LSIG06K.htm
>

> I don't get it, why is that one cheaper than:
>
> http://www.provantage.com/lsi-logic-lsi00124~7LSIG03W.htm
When I understand LSI's pricing, I will let you know.  It's got a
different connector (8470 instead of 8088) on the outside, and one
internal port.

On the other hand, that card only gets you one external port.  If you
plan to have more than one JBOD per host, the 3801 makes more sense.

Will