On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 20:20, Adam Sherman<asher...@versature.com> wrote:
> Ever seen/read about anyone use this kind of setup for HA clustering? I'm
> getting ideas about Open HA/Solaris Cluster on top of this setup with two
> systems connecting, that would rock!
It's possible that this would work with homogeneous hardware, but I
tried with another LSI-based expander and SATA disks, and had no luck.
 Perhaps SAS is necessary?

>> We have a SC846E1 at work; it's the 24-disk, 4u version of the 826e1.
>> It's working quite nicely as a SATA JBOD enclosure.  We'll probably be
>> buying another in the coming year to have more capacity.
>
> Good to hear. What HBA(s) are you using against it?
LSI 3442E-R.  It's connected through a Supermicro cable, CBL-0168L, so
it can be attached via an external cable.  There's a card needed,
CSE-PTJBOD-CB1, that allows the case to run without a motherboard in
it.  There's no monitoring for the power supplies, but I built one for
it; I can provide schematics and suggested part numbers if you're
interested.

>> We have a SC846E1 at work; it's the 24-disk, 4u version of the 826e1.
>> It's working quite nicely as a SATA JBOD enclosure.  We'll probably be
>> buying another in the coming year to have more capacity.
>

> I should also ask: any other solutions I should have a look at to get >=12
> SATA disks externally attached to my systems?
This was the best solution we found for the money.  The 826 is about
$750, while the 846 is $1100 shipped (wiredzone.com).  Per disk, the
846 is almost $20 cheaper.  If you only care for 12 disks, then one
might as well not spend the extra money, but if there's potential for
expansion it's a wise investment.

Will