Guys guys please chill...

First thanks to the info about virtualbox option to bypass the
cache (I don't suppose you can give me a reference for that info?
(I'll search the VB site :-)) As this was not clear to me. I use VB
like others use vmware etc to run solaris because its the ONLY
way I can, as I can't get the drives for most of the H/W out there
in hobby land, so a virtualised system allows me to run my SilImage
chipset to link 3gb/s to the sata multi-port array I got for £160.
===anyway lets top there or we will be off topic even more
===just though you should know why I did it, even bsd does
===not have a driver or I would have gone there so get zfs :-)

Anyway... my view on zfs was quite simple, it looked after
bit rot, and did self healing, and most importantly for me
as running it on consumer kit, was it seemed to avoid the Raid-5
write hole in the case of a crash! So if stuff falls over
eg windows,VB,Opensolaris etc I would not suffer
unknown data corruption and would just loose just that write
which was fine as the thing crashed..... so
for a flaky envorment ZFS sounds even more like the one you
want, LOL.

Loved all the technical stuff, I have had rather good deep dives
from Suns best here in UK/europe (I'm lucky as was a very
early employee of sun, and now work for a major firm :-)).
Liked the idea that you can build your own storage server
etc etc. I new most bugs, as I saw them, were fixed in Jan 09
patch.....

I THOUGHT/ASSUMMED (yes you should never :-()) that given everything
else it would be blatantly obvious that when you try to mount a zpool the
thing would either rollback to last consistent state (that includes
the U-block and meta data thank you) or have a tool like fsck
which lets you do it, BUT you know once you start rolling back
(just like clearing inodes) your not going to be in such a good
place and you'd need to scrub or something, even if it say these
files are now corrupt, FINE, but I DIDN'T loose the filesystem
just a file or two. We should never loose the filesystem. But in
ZFS land thats the most likely fault it sounds we have in data-loss.

SUMMARY
=========
What I see here is the lack of the (not needed lol) fsck type tool.
WELL WE DO NEED it, we need to be able roll-back and recover
and repair.
 I have lost data stored on large Sun6790 arrays and now my
home system.

So PLEASE anyone got a beta version of a tool to perform roll back?

Russel
(It will take me 10 days to pull my data off litttle my little
drives again, and 5 days to format with raid5 (H/W) and NFTS
not what I want, nor the raid-5 hole :-))