>From the experience myself and others have had, and Sun's approach with their
>Amber Road storage (FISHWORKS - fully integrated *hardware* and software), my
>feeling is very much that ZFS was designed by Sun to run on Sun's own
>hardware, and as such, they were able to make certain assumptions with their
>design.

ZFS was never designed to run on consumer hardware, it makes assumptions that
devices and drivers will always be well behaved when errors occur, and in
general is quite fragile if you're running it on the wrong system.  On the
right hardware, I've no doubt that ZFS is incredibly reliable and easy to
manage.  On the wrong hardware, disk errors can hang your entire system, hot
swap can down your pool, and a power cut or other error can render your entire
pool inaccessible.

The success of any ZFS implementation is *very* dependent on the hardware you
choose to run it on.