On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, Richard Elling wrote:

But to put this in perspective, you would have to *delete* 20 GBytes of
data a day on a ZFS file system for 5 years (according to Intel) to reach
the expected endurance.  I don't know many people who delete that
much data continuously (I suspect that the satellite data vendors might
in their staging servers... not exactly a market for SSDs)

Any application which repeatedly overwrites files, or writes new ones while deleting the old one, will result in huge deletion of data. Zfs deletes data at the rate it is re-written as long as the data is not retained by a snapshot.

The film post-production industry has no difficulty in trundling through several terrabytes of data in a day.

One application that I have become more familiar with lately, is the image processing nodes at Flickr. The image processing work is done locally on a server and then saved off to bulk storage. The local disks on the server surely see massive amounts of use.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn