Louis-Frédéric Feuillette wrote:
On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 14:45 -0700, Richard Elling wrote:
But to put this in perspective, you would have to *delete* 20 GBytes of
data a day on a ZFS file system for 5 years (according to Intel) to reach the expected endurance.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this not exactly what a SSD ZIL does? A ZIL
would need to "delete" it's data when it flushes to disk. I know this
thread is about consumer SSDs but are the enterprise SSDs that much
better in terms of write cycles (not speed, I know they differ in some
cases dramatically).

Around 50 times better.

The other thing to note is that the wear-out failure mode is very different from that of a hard drive. Throughout the life of the SSD, the spare capacity is slowly used to replace blocks that are getting weak. Failure happens when the spare capacity is all used up. At this point, you can't write new data to the SSD, but it still has all your existing data available for reading. (At least for Enterprise SSD's -- I don't know much about the MLC consumer drives.)

--
Andrew