On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, t. johnson wrote:

Lets say I have a simple-ish setup that uses vmware files for virtual disks on an NFS share from zfs. I'm wondering how zfs' variable block size comes into play? Does it make the alignment problem go away? Does it make it worse? Or should we perhaps be

My understanding is that zfs uses fixed block sizes except for the tail block of a file, or if the filesystem has compression enabled.

Zfs's large blocks can definitely cause performance problems if the system has insufficient memory to cache the blocks which are accessed, or only part of the block is updated.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn