One of the things that commonly comes up in the server virtualization world is
making sure that all of the storage elements are "aligned".  This is because
there are often so many levels of abstraction each using their own "block size"
that without any tuning, they'll usually overlap and can cause 2 or even 3
times the I/O in some cases to read what would be just one block. I guess this
was also a common thing in the SAN world many years back.

Lets say I have a simple-ish setup that uses vmware files for virtual disks on
an NFS share from zfs. I'm wondering how zfs' variable block size comes into
play? Does it make the alignment problem go away? Does it make it worse? Or
should we perhaps be creating filesystems with a fixed block size for
virtualization workloads?