On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Joseph L.
Casale<jcas...@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> Anyone come up with a solution to manage the replication of ZFS snapshots?
> The send/recv criteria gets tricky with all but the first unless you purge
> the destination of snapshots, then force a full stream into it.
>
> I was hoping to script a daily update but I see that I would have to keep
> track
> of what's been done on both sides when using the -i|I syntax so it would not
> be reliable in a hands off script.
>
> Would AVS be a possible solution in a mixed S10/Osol/SXCE environment? I
> presume
> that would make it fairly trivially but right now I am duplicating data from
> an
> s10 box to an osol snv118 box based on hardware/application needs forcing the
> two platforms.
>
> Thanks for any ideas!
> jlc

I came up with a somewhat custom script, using some pre-existing
scripts I found about the land.

http://www.brentrjones.com/?p=45

I schedule some file systems every 5 minutes, hour, and nightly
depending on requirements. It has worked quite well for me, and proved
to be quite useful in restoring as well (already had to use it).
E-mails status reports, handles conflicts in a simple but effective
way, and replication can be "reversed" by just starting to run it from
the other system.

I expanded on it by being able to handle A-B and B-A replication
(mirror half of A to B, and half of B to A for paired redundancy).
I'll post that version up in a few weeks when I clean it up a little.

Credits go to Constantin Gonzalez for inspiration and source for parts
of my script.
http://blogs.sun.com/constantin/

--
Brent Jones