Ok - in an attempt to weasel my way past the issue I mirrored my problematic
si3124 drive to a second drive on the ICH10R, started writing to the file
system and then killed the power to the si3124 removable drive.

To my (unfortunate) surprise, the IO stream that was writing to the mirrored
filesystem just hung. I can still zpool status, zfs list, but the process that
was writing has hung and the zpool iostat that was running in another window
has also hung.

dmesg shows the kernel noticed the sata disconnect ok and cfgadm shows the sata
port as empty. zpool status shows both drives online and no errors.

Now I'm worried my mirror protection isn't quite as solid as I thought too.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Chris