Sanjeev

Thanks for taking an interest. Unfortunately I did have failmode=continue, but
I have just destroyed/recreated and double confirmed and got exactly the same
results.

zpool status shows both drives mirror, ONLINE, no errors

dmesg shows:

SATA device detached at port 0

cfgadm shows:

sata-port    empty        unconfigured

The IO process has just hung.

It seems to me that zfs thinks it has a drive with a really long response time
rather than a dead drive so no failmode processing, no mirror resilience etc.
Clearly something has been reported back to the kernel re the port going dead
but whether that came from the driver or not I wouldn't know.

KInd regards

Chris