From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of James Hess
Sent: Thursday, 13 August 2009 3:38 PM
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS, ESX ,and NFS. oh my!

> The real benefit of the of using a
> separate zvol for each vm is the instantaneous
> cloning of a machine, and the clone will take almost
> no additional space initially. In our case we build a

You don't have to use ZVOL devices to do that.
As mentioned by others...

> zfs create my_pool/group1
> zfs create my_pool/group1/vm1
> zfs create my_pool/group1/vm2

In this case,  'vm1'  and 'vm2'  are on separate filesystems, that will
show up in 'zfs list',  since 'zfs create' was used to make them.  But
they are still both under the common mount point  '/my_pool/group1'

Now, you could
zfs snapshot  my_pool/group1/v...@snap-1-2009-06-12
zfs clone      my_pool/group1/v...@snap-1-2009-06-12   my_pool/group1/vm3
zfs promote  my_pool/group1/vm3

And you would then have your clone, also under the common mount point..