On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:37 AM, James Hess <no-re...@opensolaris.org> wrote:

The real benefit of the of using a
separate zvol for each vm is the instantaneous
cloning of a machine, and the clone will take almost
no additional space initially. In our case we build a

You don't have to use ZVOL devices to do that.
As mentioned by others...

zfs create my_pool/group1
zfs create my_pool/group1/vm1
zfs create my_pool/group1/vm2

In this case, 'vm1' and 'vm2' are on separate filesystems, that will show up in 'zfs list', since 'zfs create' was used to make them. But they are still both under the common mount point '/ my_pool/group1'

Now, you could
zfs snapshot  my_pool/group1/v...@snap-1-2009-06-12
zfs clone my_pool/group1/v...@snap-1-2009-06-12 my_pool/group1/ vm3
zfs promote  my_pool/group1/vm3

And you would then have your clone, also under the common mount point..

That was my first mistake I made with ZFS over NFS.

What you are actually seeing is the mountpoints remotely not the sub- datasets. If you copy something into those mountpoints remotely you are actually sliging it under the mounted dataset and it won't be snapshotted or cloned.

ZFS datasets act like separate file systems, so therefore behave as such in concert with NFS and only NFSv4 allows hierarchal exports.

-Ross