> Well, I see USEDSNAP 13.8 GB for the dataset, so if you delete ALL
> snapshots you'd probably be able to get that much.

I agree, it's just hard to see how...

> As for "which snapshot to delete to get most space",
> that's a liitle
> bit tricky. See
> rpool/export/home/m...@zfs-auto-snap:monthly-2009-06-2
> 8-20:59, which
> has USED 2.45G? If I understand correctly, it roughly
> means
> rpool/export/home/m...@zfs-auto-snap:monthly-2009-06-2
> 8-20:59 and
> rpool/export/home/m...@zfs-auto-snap:monthly-2009-07-0
> 5-13:43 has
> about 2.45G of difference.

That's what I thought too, but by that logic I'd have thought that if you add
up all the "differences", you'd get the total USEDSNAP figure of 13.8GB, but
you don't - it only adds up to around 5GB.

> This means:
> - Deleting
> rpool/export/home/m...@zfs-auto-snap:monthly-2009-06-2
> 8-20:59
> only probably won't save you lots of space, as the
> used space would
> probably be moved to
> rpool/export/home/m...@zfs-auto-snap:monthly-2009-05-2
> 8-08:03
> - Deleting all snapshot on and prior to
> rpool/export/home/m...@zfs-auto-snap:monthly-2009-06-2
> 8-20:59 could
> give you at least 2.45G space.

Yes, that's exactly what happened - the used data all moved to another
snapshot, and deleting that snapshot freed it all up (I guess that must have
been the point at which I first wrote the large files, or whatever). It seems
that the more you start to delete things, the easier it is to see where the
total USEDSNAP figure is coming from.

It's almost like it can't tell you where the figure is coming from ahead of
time - it requires you to take more actions before it can give you a more
accurate figure. I'm sure there must be a way to find out though...

Thanks,
Matt