If you understand how copy on write works and how snapshots work then the
concept of the extra space should make perfect since.  If you want a
mathmatic formula for how to figure it out i would have to say that it would
be based on how DIFFERENT the data is between snapshots AND how MUCH data it
is....but it's not always a 10 gb file + 10 gb file = 20 gb...that is simply
NOT how ZFS or snapshots WORK.  Really, If you think about it, it makes
perfect sense....and it's not always as black and white as you'd like it to
be.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Matthew Stevenson <no-re...@opensolaris.org