Dave,

I've searched opensolaris.org and our internal bug database.
I don't see that anyone else has reported this problem.

I asked someone from the OSOL install team and this behavior
is a mystery.

If you destroyed the phantom pools before you reinstalled,
then they probably returned from the import operations but
I can't be sure.

If you want to export your tank pool and re-import it, then
maybe you should just use zpool import tank until the root
cause of the phantom pools are determined.

Not much help, but some ideas:

1. What does the zpool history -l output say for the phantom pools?
Were they created at the same time as the root pool or the same time
as tank?

2. The phantom pools contain the c8t1* and c9t1* fdisk partitions (p0s) that are in your tank pool as whole disks. A strange coincidence.

Does zdb output or fmdump output identify the relationship, if
any, between the c8 and c9 devices in the phantom pools and tank?

3. I can file a bug for you. Please provide the system information,
such as hardware, disks, OS release.

Cindy