On Sep 21, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:13:26 -0400
Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com> wrote:

OK, so the problem you are trying to solve is "how much stuff can I
place in the remaining free space?"  I don't think this is knowable
for a dynamic file system like ZFS where metadata is dynamically
allocated.

Yes. And I acknowledge that we can't know that precisely; I'm trying for
an estimate on the bound.

You don't know the max overhead for the file before it is allocated.
You could guess at a max of 3x size + at least three blocks.  Since
you can't control this, it seems like the worst case is when copies=3.

Is that max with copies=3? Assume copies=1; what is it then?

1x size + 1 block.
 -- richard