Good link - thanks. I'm looking at the details for that one and learning a
little zdb at the same time. I've got a situation perhaps a little different in
that I _do_ have a current copy of the slog in a file with what appears to be
current data.

However, I don't see how to attach the slog file to an offline zpool - I have
both a dd backup of the ramdisk slog from midnight as well as the current file
based slog :

zdb -l /root/slog.tmp

version=14
    name='siovale'
    state=1
    txg=4499446
    pool_guid=13808783103733022257
    hostid=4834000
    hostname='shemhazai'
    top_guid=6374488381605474740
    guid=6374488381605474740
    is_log=1
    vdev_tree
        type='file'
        id=1
        guid=6374488381605474740
        path='/root/slog.tmp'
        metaslab_array=230
        metaslab_shift=21
        ashift=9
        asize=938999808
        is_log=1
        DTL=51

Is there any way that I can attach this slog to the zpool while it's offline?

Erik