Hi! thanks for reply.

> The BBWC is much more useful than the write cache on
> the X25-E since
> the X25-E's write cache is volatile and therefore may
> cause harm to
> your data.  According to reports I have seen, the
> X25-E write IOPS
> reduces by a factor of five when its write cache is
> disabled.

Use the BBWC to maintain high IOPS when X25-E's write cache is disabled?

> I find this difficult to believe.  I doubt that it
> disables the
> wear-leveling algorithm since then the product might
> only survive for
> hours or days before burn-out.  There may be more
> low-level writes
> though which could result in quicker wear.

At some report I have seen, write cache is necessary for wear-leveling. Should
I switch off the X25-E's write cache?

> Use ZFS for the RAID if you can.  Use the BBWC to
> reduce the latency
> for small write I/Os.

The serser has RAID card, so I can use hardware(Adaptec's) RAID(the file system
is ZFS). Should I use ZFS for the RAID?

> Since you mention mail server, it is useful to know
> if the type of
> mail server you are setting up involves a lot of
> synchronous writes.
> The best thing you can do is to install a lot of RAM
> in your server to
> minimize the amount of reads and writes.  Lots of RAM
> will reduce the
> amount of write activity since writes can be
> postponed for up to 30
> seconds, and mail folders may be updated many times
> in the mean time.
> With enough RAM installed, you will see almost all
> writes, with
> practically no reads.

I think the IOPS is important for mail server, so ZIL is useful. The server has
48GB RAM and two(ZFS or hardware mirror) X25-E(32GB) for ZIL(slog). I
understand the ZIL needs half of RAM.

I am sorry for a lot of question.