On Oct 10, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, tak ar wrote:

I think the IOPS is important for mail server, so ZIL is useful. The server has 48GB RAM and two(ZFS or hardware mirror) X25-E(32GB) for ZIL(slog). I understand the ZIL needs half of RAM.

There is a difference between synchronous IOPS and async "IOPS" since synchronous writes require that data be written right away while async I/O can be written later. Postponed writes are much more efficient.

If the mail software invokes fsync(2) to flush a mail file to disk, then a synchronous write is required. However, there is still a difference between opening a file with the O_DSYNC option (all writes are synchronous) and using the fsync(2) call when the file write is complete (only pending unwritten data is synchronous).

I'm not aware of email services using sync regularly. In my experience with large email services, the response time of the disks used for database and indexes is the critical factor (for > 600 messages/sec delivered, caches don't matter :-) Performance of the disks for the mail messages themselves is not as critical.

A lot depends on how your mail software operates. Some mail systems create a file for each mail message while others concatenate all of the messages for one user into one file.

You may want to defer installing your X25-Es and evaluate performance of the mail system with a DTrace tool called 'zilstat', which is written by Richard Elling. This tool will tell you how much and what type of synchronous write traffic you have.

Yes. In my experience, for the hardware I was using, a separate log was better,
but not required to meet the performance goals.
 -- richard

It is currently difficult to remove slog devices so it is safer to add them if you determine they will help rather than reduce performance.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn