Hi Bob and all,

So this sounds like we need to wait for someone to come with a definite answer.

I've received some helpful information on this:

> Byte 17 is for "Ignore Force Unit Access".
> Byte 18 is for Ignore Disable Write Cache.
> Byte 21 is for Ignore Cache Sync.
>
> Change ALL settings to 1 to make sure all "bad" commands are ignored.
>
> Byte 21 is the most important one, the other two settings are for safety.

note: Personally, I think that talking about "safety" in this context can be a little misleading, my understanding of what is meant here is to make sure that the cache is always being used - which can mean the contrary to (data) safety (I've just learned from wikipedia that "Force Unit Access" means to bypass any read cache).

> Newer Solaris (05/08 and higher) should automatically detect a Sun Storage
> array and should handle the ICS correctly without any modification be reading
> the Sync-NV bit.

Can anyone make a definite statement on this?

My understanding is that it does NOT yet work as it should, see also:
http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=245256

In other words, my understanding is that we DO still need the Hacks on the 61xx/25xx or zfs:zfs_nocacheflush=1 for optimal performance.

Regarding my bonus question: I haven't found yet a definite answer if there is a way to read the currently active controller setting. I still assume that the nvsram settings which can be read with

        service -d <arrayname> -c read -q nvsram region=0xf2 host=0x00

do not necessarily reflect the current configuration and that the only way to make sure the controller is running with that configuration is to reset it.

Nils