Actually, I think this is a case of crossed wires.  This issue was reported a
while back on a news site for the X25-M G2.  Somebody pointed out that these
devices have 8GB of cache, which is exactly the dataset size they use for the
iops figures.

The X25-E datasheet however states that while write cache is enabled, the iops
figures are over the entire drive.

And looking at the X25-M G2 datasheet again, it states that the measurements
are over 8GB of range, but these come with 32MB of cache, so I think that was
also a false alarm.